Sunday 3 June 2012

When Good Glue Goes Bad (Woooooo)

     Glue doesn't last forever.
     Once figures are a couple of years old, it's quite common for glued joints to come undone for no apparent reason.
     Luckily, fixing these un-glued joins is probably the simplest repair job your figures will ever need – in fact, you probably don't need to be told how to do this, but I'll write it down anyway.


     Today, I will be fixing Nendoroid Miku, whose neck joint has broken apart.
     Nendoroid neck joints are made of several pieces. There's the obvious peg and the not-so-obvious cylindrical insert which connects the peg to the head.
The cylindrical insert in Miku's neck joint has come out.
     This is pretty easy to fix. The break is clean and close-fitting (and no plastic has been fractured! Yay!), so all I have to do is apply a little Supa Glue and put it back in.
Apply an even coat of Supa Glue (sparingly) all over the unstuck surface.
There is no need to remove the peg from the cylinder, since it is not in the
way and even makes a useful handle! Don't get any glue on the peg.
Now just push the unstuck joint back together, being careful to line it
up properly first. This hardly even needs a picture...
Fixed!
... No need to look so shocked, Miku. I said this would be simple.
     As you can see, the repair is now complete. All that's left to do is put Miku's head in a safe place while the glue dries. According to the packet, this should be in about 24 hours.
     See you tomorrow, Miku!

Supa Glue works even on really tiny areas. I bought Figma Marisa
secondhand and the cup had become detached from her hand. A tiny
bit of glue was all it needed.
     More about Supa Glue:
     Supa Glue is great stuff. It will form really strong bonds with only the most tiny contact area... it will even stick skin together. Plastic surgeons use it instead of stitches sometimes.
     ... oh, speaking of which, don't spill it on yourself... and if you do spill it on yourself, then whatever you do, don't touch it.
     Instead, run it under water straight away.
     It won't form a bond until two surfaces push together (which is why it can only fix breaks which are close-fitting), so if you don't touch it before you wash it off, it'll be fine.
     However, if you put your finger on a glue spot on your arm, an instantaneous, super-strong bond will form between your arm and your finger...
     Another thing to know about Supa Glue is that it can dissolve paint. Well, some kinds of paint, anyway. If you're working with or near a painted figure part, keep this in mind, as it would be a shame to accidentally ruin your figure's paintwork when doing a simple repair like this. If you must put glue on a painted area, try dabbing it on a non-visible area first to see what effect it has.

     If you want more information on glue, such as choosing the right glue for a particular repair, please see my page on adhesives, here!

     Thanks for reading! I hope this has been of help to you!
     Good luck with your repairs!
     Cheers! Sparkey.

UPDATE on RAH ROY MUSTANG'S BROKEN NECK!
The results of my repairs are... inconclusive, because I am still waiting for the glue to dry.
Stay posted to find out what I did to help Roy and whether it actually worked...
"Get on with it!
My arms are really tired!"

Any questions? Just leave a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone know where I can buy the cylindrical insert part? I don't know what it's called so I don't know what to look for. Mine slipped out and I can't get the neck peg out and I feel like it'll break if I force it. I wanted to make a obitsuroid (nendoroid obitsu hybrid) and I can't do it without that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Sparkey here (I'm on a different google account, so my name isn't showing up)
      I don't know exactly what you mean. Can you show a photo of the part you need? I have obitsus and nendoroids, so I might be able to figure it out.

      Delete